Monday, May 27, 2013

Old Friends, Part II

On the day I retired, I petulantly promised myself that I would never set foot in a public high school, particularly the one on Green Mountain, again.  So far, with the exception of attending my grandson's graduation in Orlando, I have kept that promise.

But yesterday afternoon I managed to revisit good old GMHS without having to actually walk into the place.  We went to the shower for Gavin's new child, Colton.  We met Todd and saw Ellison running around just like he did at their place in New York a few months ago.  And there at Nils Erickson's spectacular home we found all the people, well a lot of the people, who made Green Mountain such a great place back in its halcyon years, you know, the years when Kathie and I were there.  There was Carol and Harvey DeLockroy, Bud and Janet Simmons, Barb Amberg looking a lot like she did when she was in my Sophomore Lang Arts class.  Nancy Hardesty looking all spiked and tres avant garde.  Mostly there were kids, wonderful kids.  I know they are all in their 30's and 40's now, but they're still kids.

I had a wonderful talk with Nils about his children and the Montessori school close-by.  Tim Skillern and his wife (I'm sorry I forgot your name) were there.  Tim and I worked side by side on the newspaper for four years.  Our relationship was one of my favorite things about my career, yet I barely recognized him.  I almost cried when we hugged.  Kevin Williams and I spent a goodly amount of time talking about our favorite subject--restaurants.  We discovered we live in the same basic area as Stacy Lord and now will start looking for her at the grocery store.  And of course we saw Gavin and his wonderful family again.  It was a rare treat to see him two times in the last couple of months.

Afterwards, we went with Bud and Janet and had a terrific dinner at Gaetano's, one time mafia hang out and current neighborhood Italian joint.  They have surprisingly good food there if you're ever around 38th and Tejon.

Thanks to everyone for reminding me of all that I loved about school, yet allowing me to avoid the many things I learned to hate.

3 comments:

karl said...

Over the years I have been back to green mountain a few times, what always stands out to me is that it smells exactly the same as when I went there as a student.

Unknown said...

It's still a good place, if different, Jim. Try not to sound so "old," basking in nostalgia for what GMHS once was. Public Education, the GM community, the demands of those in power, technology, and a lot more have changed. That being said, when I catch a glimpse of a '93 or '95 yearbook, I feel a whole lotta nostalgia, too. But I'm still here trying to fight the good fight. And a lot of us can celebrate little victories now and then.

jstarkey said...

I don't think I was sounding "old." I was just joking around. If anything, my attitude about good old GMHS is childish, but I'm ok with that. If the truth be known, I've never felt younger. I think leaving the profession, the good fight, has added ten years to my life. Of course, keeping up with the grandkids has something to do with that.