Sunday, January 6, 2013

". . . as mad as a wealthy man . . ."

I read something yesterday about a moment in the new Hobbit movie and I will try to relate it from memory, since actually checking for accuracy would be a drag and not in the spirit of blogging.  There is a moment when some character is extremely angry (I'm not a big fan of Tolkien--although I have taught THE HOBBIT--so I can't be very specific here.) and the line, presumably Tokien's, goes something like this:  "He was as mad as a wealthy man when faced with the prospect of losing something he has forgotten about and probably never used."

Nicely put.  Let me be clear here.  I have nothing against wealthy people.  On those occasions when I have hung out with them they have always been gracious, articulate, and poured great wine.  I would like to join their number.  But Tolkien's description rings true, doesn't it?

Then this morning I read three articles in the International section of THE NEW YORK TIMES that are kind of germane and really disturbing in that they all elaborate on the theme I've set above.  They all tell the story of the rich riding roughshod over the poor.

"As Biofuel Demand Grows, So Do Guatemala's Hunger Pangs" explains how Guatemala is one of the world's most malnourished countries (#4) thanks mostly to the demand by the developed world (read:  USA) for biofuels.  I've been in Guatemala.  Beautiful.  Lush.  Scary.  All those things.  But like all Latin American countries, its diet is based on corn and it is more profitable to grow corn for chicken feed and biofuels than it is to grow corn that could be used to feed people.  The price of tortillas in Guatemala, by the way, has doubled in the past few years.  That might not mean much to someone living in the suburbs of Denver, but it means a lot to a poor farmer in Guatemala who has discovered that there is no longer any land available to plant crops that are not already earmarked for gas pumps in the USA.  Whenever we visit Belize and near the Guatemalan border, we are warned about "Banditos."  Is it any wonder?  What alternative do they have?  Besides, the real Banditos are the fat cats in our country making money hand over fist.

"Greek Tax Scandal Diverts Attention From the Country's Shortfall in Collections" explains that the main reason for Greece's economic malaise is the long tradition of wealthy Greeks dodging taxes.  The government only brought in half the tax revenues expected because the country lacks the political will to pursue the wealthy tax dodgers.  Who pays the freight?  The same people who pay the freight everywhere.  The ones who can afford it least.

"With Deposits, India Aims to Keep Money for the Poor From Other's Pockets" speaks for itself.  India has more poor and destitute than any other country.  One reason for that is the wealthy finding opportunities to cash in.

"Everywhere I look I see people cashing in, cashing in on every decent human impulse . . ." Yossarian rightly said.  What would he see today?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on
websites I stumbleupon everyday. It will always be interesting to read content from other writers and
practice a little something from other websites.
My web site > diet plans that work