Tuesday, February 2, 2010

a mercy - Toni Morrison

I remember a scene in The Big Chill. William Hurt's character, permanently coked up, is watching some movie on late night television when Tom Beringer's character sits down and asks him what the movie is about. "I don't know," Hurt responds. "You're so analytical. Sometimes you have to let art flow over you."

That is almost always my reaction when reading Toni Morrison's works. Her speakers simply allow you as a reader to enter their lives at some point and to eaves drop on the goings on. They don't give you much help. There is no road map. No exposition to bring you up to speed. Morrison forces you to dive right in and figure out things for yourself. I have read every fiction she has written and the best ones (Beloved, Song of Solomon, The Bluest Eye) all share that very Faulknerian characteristic. You read along, piecing things together, moving from bewilderment to the slow shock of recognition to enlightenment. I mean I still have to fight tears when I think of Paul D. rocking Sethe, saying "You your best thing, Sethe. You."

a mercy belongs with Morrison's best. Our main speaker here is Florens, a slave girl who is sold to a decent man as payment for a debt in lieu of cash. The slave owner originally tries to sell Florens' mother, but the mother rightly wangles them into taking her daughter instead. Just like Sethe's solution to the Fugitive Slave Act, this moment of "abandonment" by her mother serves as the seminal moment in the novel.

Like all of Morrison's work, we are afforded a grim, first person account from multiple speakers of the horrors of the beginnings of the slave trade, but it ends up being more of an investigation into the love between women who have their very existences defined by men or the absence of men.

There is the mistress, Rebekkah, herself not much more than white chattel; Lina, the slave who provides the rock that precariously holds all of these women together; Sorrow, whose lustful presence seems to supply some hope for an independent life; and Florens, whose love for a freeman blacksmith provides a focus for the narrative. But their dependence on men is the unforgettable emphasis of this beautiful little novel.

Rebekka arrives to America in the cargo hold of a ship, sharing the tiny space with a handful of other down and out ladies. She is the only one who actually has a future in the form of a prearranged marriage to Jacob Vaark. In the hold, as she listens to and receives comfort from the stories of her fellow passenger/victims she righly sees the parallel to Job's comforters who really don't talk about Job's problem at all. They simply talk about themselves. All comforters follow that trope. She reaches one of those thrilling insights that make Morrison's work so satisfying. Job didn't want answers from God; he only wanted to be noticed.
But then Job was a man. Invisibility was intolerable to men. What complaint would a female Job dare to put forth? And if, having done so, and He deigned to remind her of how weak and ignorant she was, where was the news in that? What shocked Job into humility and renewed fidelity was the message a female Job would have known and heard every minute of her life.

It is a thrilling moment. In fact it almost makes me want to teach AP again so I could do this novel along with "Job" and J. B.. Almost, but not quite.

If you are a Morrison fan and how could you not be, this is must reading.

2 comments:

Karin (an alien parisienne) said...

It's been a long while since I have read any Morrison. As you say here, "Like all of Morrison's work, we are afforded a grim, first person account from multiple speakers of the horrors of the beginnings of the slave trade..."

I have to be in a good place in my head with her works because of the intensity of the stories she tells. This may be okay for me to handle at the moment as I have been reading works by writers telling stories (fictional, but realistic and powerful) about the French Occupation by the Nazis. Intense stuff, too, but since I am kind of in the swing with "good writing/stories, but grim tales" I could see taking on a mercy, too. I'm supposed to go to WH Smith, one of the English language bookstores here, this weekend. I will see if it is there (I've been wanting to get the TS Spivet one, though -- that will probably take priority).

"It is a thrilling moment. In fact it almost makes me want to teach AP again so I could do this novel along with "Job" and J. B.. Almost, but not quite." Heh!! :D

I know this feeling. Over the past 20 years, I have floated in and out of teaching. When I am doing it, the good moments are glorious, but the bad ones are truly awful (that, and all the paperwork, etc. involved with NCLB and other administrative crap really bites) and so I can understand the "not quite" up there.

Along with the glorious moments are the connections students make and the epiphanies they have. When you find a vehicle that you think will carry those epiphanies forth, you want to set it in motion! This kind of thing happens to me a lot when I am not teaching. You can take the teacher out of the classroom, but you can't take the classroom out of the teacher -- or something like that. Sometimes I think I just need to find/start a good book club. :)

On your mention of Job and J.B.: I just saw the newest Coen Brothers movie "A Serious Man" (it was just released in France a couple of weeks ago). While watching, I kept thinking about the story of Job.(I guess I am not alone -- I just saw this link on Wikipedia as I was checking to make sure I had the title right: http://www.tampabay.com/features/movies/coen-brothers-a-serious-man-has-troubles-of-job-without-uplift/1048550) It's not their best, in my opinion, but it was still good and had some terrifically funny moments. Overall, it's pretty grim, though, and like that review says, without any uplift.

I love making all the connections, seeing how stories and themes weave themselves amongst books and films. Hmmmm. Wonder where I could have developed that liking, eh? ;-)

While neither of us may be teaching right now, at least there are such a thing as blogs where we can make the connections and note the warp and weft in the fabric, huh. :) I enjoyed this post very much. Thank you.

m said...

Mr. Starkey- I enjoyed this post. I too love Toni Morrison. Beloved and Sula are my favorite. I'll have to see if I can get "a mercy" on my kindle tonight.