Monday, September 26, 2011

A Reverse Bucket List

I recently read a terrifically clever piece by someone I wish I could credit who, realizing he/she could never achieve his/her bucket list, decided to write a list of things he/she definitely didn't want to do before death. Here's mine.

1. Climb Mount Everest (This was also the top item in the list I read, but I had to list it anyway.)
2. Summit all the fourteeners in Colorado. I could still buy a tee-shirt proclaiming I had made it to the top of all of them, so what would be the point?
3. Scuba the Blue Hole in Belize. Again, I could always buy the tee-shirt.
4. Ride through the Everglades in one of those boats with the big propeller in the back.
5. Travel to Australia, or to any other place where you have to wear a hat with corks hanging down to keep the bugs at bay.
6. Attend the Daytona 500 or any other Nascar event.
7. Ride mules on that tiny little trail into the Grand Canyon.
8. Step out on that platform the local indians financed that looms over the Grand Canyon and makes you feel like you're standing on air.
9. Go paragliding off Lookout Mountain.
10. Go spelunking or any other activity where the likelihood of a bat getting into your hair is high.
11. Go for a run with those barefoot running indians in the Copper Canyon in Mexico. I liked BORN TO RUN, but come on man.
12. Attend a baseball camp for middle aged men. Little League provided enough humiliation for a lifetime.
13. Play Texas Hold 'em in Las Vegas.
14. Do anything in Las Vegas. Even the upscale restaurants there are depressing.
15. Watch the St. Patrick's Day Parade in New York City.
16. Attend a couples Tupperware Party.
17. Go on a cruise.
18. Buy a pair of white, patent leather shoes just in case I had to go on a cruise.
19. Play golf.
20. Attend a time share presentation.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I have done both 13 and 14; the poker was fun, although my skill level is such that it proved expensive. I did very much enjoy the restaurants, even though the artificiality and sensory overload became kind of soul-crushing after a couple of days. (N.B. I was only there because my wife was attending a professional conference.)

My own list might include:

-Engaging in any activity that involves passage through a significant column of air without being enclosed in an appropriate vehicle

-Setting so much as a foot in Nashville, TN or Branson, MO

-Attending a religious service other than a wedding or a funeral (As culturally rich and interesting as some services might be, the fact that I've lived 37 years without going to church is starting to become a point of pride.)

-Visiting any locale where there are spiders above birds on the food chain