Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Art of the Compromise

If you aren't willing to compromise, how will we ever get anything to eat?

Eric Cantor wrote an op-ed in the Times that I have been stewing about since last Sunday.  His piece, entitled something like Obama Viewed From Other Side, asserted that Cantor was optimistic on Inauguration Day that Obama would deliver on his bi-partisan message of hope.  Alas, Cantor was disappointed from the beginning.  Obama offered his plans for a bail out, but when offered Republican alternative plans, ignored them.  Same thing with health care.  Obama, Pelosi, and Reid (that would make a nifty sounding law firm) set out the plan.  Republicans countered and were ignored.  The poor, disillusioned Republican caucus, deciding it was futile to even try to come to terms, stopped trying.  The resultant partisan divide, from Cantor's point of view, was completely Obama's fault for not being willing to compromise.

Now, I'm not a rabidly partisan person.  For instance, even though he holds most of the same views, I find Bill Maher's rantings shrill and largely unfair.  And even though I agree with most of his conclusions and admire his craftsmanship, I think Michael Moore is an obnoxious boor.  I even think W. is a good, well-intentioned man.  I'm still hoping it is possible that our new president will go against type and do some good things.  You can see to what ridiculous extents my bi-partisanship goes; however, Cantor's version of the truth doesn't jive with mine.

Back in 2008, I read everything I could get my hands on about politics, and not just the pages of "The Huffington Post."  I checked Mike Allen's Playbook every morning.  After that, I looked at The Daily Kos.  I sat down with the Post, Morning Joe on the television, and read the news.  Of course, there was, and continues to be, The Daily Beast, and Politico, and Politifact.  I even forced myself to look at The Drudge Report, the most dreary looking "news" gathering site around.  The point is that none of those outlets seemed to offer facts to support Cantor's assertions.

The idea that Republicans were chomping at the bit to work with Obama is laughable.  Before the start of every session, new Republican congressmen sign a pledge to not raise taxes in any form.  They sign that pledge or they suffer the electoral consequences.  They voted as a bloc against anything with Obama's name on it.  They hoped he would fail.  They called him a liar at a State of the Union address.  They still think he was born in Kenya.

Let me use a restaurant metaphor to explain what really happened.  Instead of negotiating health care, let us say that Obama and Cantor are negotiating where to go for lunch in Denver.  Makes sense to me.

Obama:  Let's go to Park Burger.  It's close to Denver University.  I've heard it's affordable.  What's more, they have great fries.

Cantor:  I'm interested in lunch.  It would be good for the small business man.  However, Park Burger doesn't sound good.  Too close to a snooty graduate school.  I would like to go to Denny's.

Obama:  Denny's?  Well, the thing is that I was really hungry for some good fries.  I've had Denny's fries before.  They're okay, but not really what I had in mind.  How about Elway's?  Their fries are great and we could all order S'mores for dessert.

Cantor:  S'mores are way too rich.  I want to go to Denny's.

Obama:  Lou's?  How about Lou's.  Good burgers.  Great fries.  Used to be Denny's or Perkins or something before they got bought out.  Bought out by a small businessman, I might add.

Cantor:  Look, I thought you wanted to go to lunch.  If I can't go to Denny's, I'm gonna stay home.

Obama:  Okay.  I guess I'll go to lunch by myself.  Let me know if I can bring you anything back from Park Burger.

Cantor:  Look, if you aren't willing to compromise, how will we ever get anything to eat?


  

No comments: