Monday, March 14, 2016

Old People Playing Croquet!

One shudders at the thought

There I am resting up before reentering the fray on the croquet court at Meadowood.  Notice I am wearing whites.  I had to buy them at the pro shop (yes, a croquet pro shop) just for the occasion.  I had to make sure the white shirt I purchased had a collar.  People in tee shirts need not apply.  Now, usually I wear a sleeveless wife-beating shirt when I play a round ("quiver"?) of croquet.  I like the way my triceps look when I do one of those between the leg shots.  Of course, the mallet has to be the right weight and balance.

A good Jenny Lake friend of ours has his own mallet.  I don't think he plays professionally, but he does have, I suspect, a special croquet playing shirt with an insignia.

I had my own pool cue once.  I loved opening its case and screwing the two pieces together.  My opponents were impressed.

I'll bet it's the same with croquet mallets.  Except the carrying case would have to have a little bulge at one end or the other to accommodate the mallet head.  Imagine pulling out your hand carved mallet, the two part shaft a miracle of engravings and notches, like a back woods' tally stick.  You'd walk around, assess the condition of the court, the heft and smoothness of the balls, test for wind conditions.

I mention all this because of an alarming item in today's Post.  It seems that kids at Graland Country Day School are going out and playing croquet with old people!  It's all part of a science course they're taking which evidently includes a unit about Alzheimer's.  Playing croquet with old people (They bus them in from local memory care centers.) apparently gives junior high types special insight into dementia.

Here.  Just look at this quote if you don't think the Great Alzheimer's Croquet Experiment is a good idea:  "Small groups of students gathered around each senior and showed them how to play, occasionally helping by kicking a ball through a wicket."

I just don't think it is right to teach old people how to cheat at this late stage in the game.  I remember a time Kathie and I played a round of croquet with Joe and Carol Monaco at Jenny Lake.  On Wednesdays on the lawn at Jenny they have Wickets and Wine, an opportunity to meet other guests, get loaded on some pretty good vin ordinaire, and play croquet.  I mean what else are we doing?  Anyway, we were playing with Joe and Carol.  The length of the grass threw me off my game, but Kathie and I still had a commanding lead when Carol started furtively kicking her ball through random wickets.  It was an outrage.  If she had been at Meadowood, the pro in the golf shoes and knickers would have thrown her unceremoniously out.

So there you have it.  If perfectly cogent middle aged (well, upper middle aged) people can shamelessly cheat with a mallet in their hand, what do you think will happen when seriously old people start playing.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to go there.

3 comments:

jstarkey said...

Katherine here. This one made me laugh and laugh. The two "games" we have played wih Joe and Carol are core memories (Joy in INSIDE OUT would be pleased). When we played croquet, we had hiked to the top of Jackson Peak that day and we were exhausted, but we also wanted to be supportive of a new idea at the lodge. I remember the croquet "field" wasn't nearly as nice and smooth as the Meadowood one, and I was betting they picked up the croquet sets at a Walmart somewhere. I remember drinking lots of wine (not advised after climbing a mountain). I remember Joe really wanted to win. Really. Carol wanted him to lose. Really. All other cognition is foggy except that we laughed a lot. The other game was our Texas Hold-em/Scrabble game (tequila this time). I remember we had to play a scrabble word that matched what we wanted to bet and being English teachers was an advantage. I remember laughing a lot. Meadowood was prettier and your croquet outfit was truly professional--it just wasn't nearly as funny. I loved this one.

Unknown said...

Fabulous! I can't picture a croquet mallet and not give a nod to Jack Torrance in The Shining. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

Unknown said...

Fabulous! I can't picture a croquet mallet and not give a nod to Jack Torrance in The Shining. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.