Friday, October 21, 2011

I Want to Be Gwyneth Paltrow, Tebow's Cool, Knitting Barometers, and What's Left Over

Katherine today.

I've been very busy with work, Franny's move to Denver (ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!), knitting deadlines, and all sorts of household flotsam that's too silly to explain. I've had numerous impulses to write and skipped the important note-taking step and have lost track of even the faintest glimpse of what I intended to write about and so I'm writing today in an effort to get something down before it vanishes. It's a scary proposition.

I think I'll formulate this as a list. I'd like to think I could organize my thoughts into something coherent by finding a thread that holds it all together, but it's not going to happen. I'm not sure why anybody would care, but here's some stuff on my mind of late:

1. Gwyneth Paltrow. She's perfect. She can read Shakespeare well enough to earn her an Oscar and cook light regional Italian meals and publish a cookbook full of her original recipes. She can sing country western songs and work out with Madonna. She married the lead guy in Cold Play and he's witty and humble and not the typical goregous rock star. I think I want to be Gwyneth Paltrow.

2. We had Chinese food delivered one day last week. Several days later I ate the last fortune cookie after reading my fortune: "Everything you are against, weakens you." Whoa. I actually thought about that. It's not really a fortune and I've been bummed over the last several years that fortune cookies rarely have actual fortunes anymore, but it certainly stopped me in my tracks. I think it's the only time a fortune cookie has actually made me think.

I understand that I could get a really good paragraph here about conservative politics and some sort of significant irony that's embedded in all this. I'm just not up to it. It's just too sad.
I'm trying to think of things in terms of what I'm for and not what I'm against. I'm in favor of natural fibers instead of being opposed to synthetic fibers. I'm in favor of natural foods instead of being opposed to processed and packaged foods. I'm in favor of regulating banks and corporations and reforming taxes to distribute the burdens more fairly instead of being opposed to uniform greed. I'm feeling myself getting stronger all the time.

3. I like Tim Tebow. I didn't expect to. Before I decided I wouldn't be against things anymore, I was probably against Tim Tebow. Too much religion and goody-goody stuff. Too much effort. Just too much.

As I said, I like him now. Tebow hasn't talked about religion. He's charismatic and I find it impossible not to want him to make this work out. He somehow got his fellow draft-mates to run an 18 hole golf course (sit-ups and push-ups at each hole) one night at their rookie symposium. He looks really good in the underwear he's selling. I don't know. I just want him to do well and make the Broncos fun to watch for a while.

4. Jim made a pumpkin pie yesterday. He makes wonderful pies. The pumpkin filling is laced with Scotch and the crust is really flaky and it's my favorite pie in the world. Franny had us over for dinner (Ahhhhhhh) and we brought the pie. She made a wonderful European-style fondue dinner (The Melting Pot isn't it) and it was just really nice. Her place looks great. It was a nice family time. We cook a lot in this family.

5. When my emotions are crazy and I knit rows, the rows remain the same. Self-pity does not change my knitting stitch size. Emotions do, however, affect the size of my purled stitches. I thought you'd want to know.

6. I wish FaceBook hadn't changed. I know that FB is really all about how we are changing what we do and what we think and who we are all the time. Still, I wish it hadn't changed.

7. I'll miss Jobs and the ability to make technology cool.

I think I'll stop here. I'm hungry and I'll go scrounge for something to eat. I have to have the body of a sweater knitted before my knitting class next Wednesday night and I better go upstairs and knit, knit, knit. I don't want to be in the slackers corner at knitting class.

Thanks for listening.
K.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Ah, perfection!
#1 - Good points, but you have Mr. Starkey! ;)
#2 - And now you have passed the pondering on to me.
The rest of this post just made me smile. Thanks for sharing!