Monday, September 13, 2010

Open - Andre Agassi

Andre Agassi's autobiography was completely mindless. It was wonderful to read.

It has spent some time as #1 on the best seller list and it has lots of hype. Time said : "One of the best sports autobiographies os all time . . . One of the better memoirs out there, period."

"Not your typical jock-autobio fare. This literate and absorbing book is, as the title baldly states, Agassi's confessional, a wrenching chronicle of his lifelong search for identity and serenity, on and off the court." -Los Angeles Times

"The most revealing, literate, and toes-stompingly honest sports autobiobraphies in history." -Rick Reilly.

I would have to agree, but keep in mind that we are talking about sports autobiographies here. Sure, compared to Wilt this is heady stuff. Of course Wilt Chamberlain went into much more detail when listing his sexual conquests. By Wilt's account he would have had to bedded three or four women a day starting at age eight to amass the numbers he gives himself credit for.

It is also better than Tom Jackson's autobiography in conjunction with Woody Paige, although one of the hypes on Jackson's back cover came from my mother-in-law. "With the exception of my husband, Charlie, Tom Jackson has given me more pleasure than any other man," she cleverly asserted. I think that was the best line coming from that book.

I don't think it is as good as Mad Ducks and Bears (Alex Karras), but that was more an expose of football life than an autobiography. And, of course, it can't compete with my childhood favorite, The Knute Rockne Story. My junior high devotion to Knute Rockne and Notre Dame makes Rudy whathisname look like a slacker. But I digress.

I had just finished reading Brooklyn and went to the Tattered Cover to buy Freedom, but as is usually the case when I walk into a bookstore, came home with a handful of other titles. I spent the rest of the day determined to start reading Jonathan Franzen's novel, but some force kept pulling me toward the Agassi. I gave in and, just like many of the reviewers said, I couldn't put it down. I finished it by the next morning by reading it in between serves at the U.S. Open. Even though I am a rotten tennis player, I love the game; if you love the game, you love Agassi.

Actually, Agassi merely dictated the book ( I suspected as much from the start) and a typist put it on paper and/or hard drive. Then J. R. Moehringer (The Tender Bar) gave it some structure. It is a successful collaboration. The book presents a straightforward account of Agassi's career in chronological order. It paints a pretty horrible picture of his driven father (Agassi was forced, never cajoled, into hitting 2,500 hundred balls a day!) and Nick Bollettieri's horrific tennis boot camp in Florida. It details his rivalry with Pete Sampras and his hatred (mutual) of Boris Becker. It takes us through a number of his more important matches, everyone of which I remember watching with rabid attention. And, of course, it talks about his awkward relationship with Brooke Shields and his eventual true love, Steffie Graf. It also talks about his heavy experimentation with Crack/Meth during his low years and his humiliating rehab with the help of Brad Gilbert and a whole entourage of trainers, pseudo shrinks, family, and friends. At the end he spends a lot of time talking about his charities, notably the school he funds and runs in Vegas. The whole ordeal ends on a triumphal note, and even though Agassi is basically a whiny jerk through most of his life, we end up happy for his apparently happy and successful future.

My main reaction to the whole thing is a certain bemusement at the error of magnitude that has characterized his life. The obstacles he had to overcome seem so insignificant, so trivial, compared to the obstacles that most of us face every day. Okay, okay, he had a bullying father who pushed him to be a tennis star and make millions and millions of dollars. The women in his life didn't understand him. He was tempted by drugs. Sometimes he lost important matches. Once, he was forced to watch The Joy Luck Club with Barbra Streisand and a collection of hollywood stars. He was on the set of Friends when Brooke Shields, in a cameo, licked the hand of one of the guys (Agassi stormed out.). His back hurt a lot when he got out of bed. But, praise the lord, he overcame all of that to start a school and live with Steffi Graf and his kids in Vegas. Interesting, but not the stuff of tragedy. I mean we could all tell him stories that would break his heart.

That's the thing with sports nuts. Listen to them argue on some sports talk show and you would think that the trading of Brandon Marshall was the end of the world as we know it. Kyle Orton only threw ONE TOUCHDOWN against the Jags and sports columnists like Woody Paige and Mark Kizla manage to opine for 700 words each as if that actually mattered. Of course, I was, and continue to be, devastated that Federer lost in the semis, but that is another story.

In biographies of people of significance like John Adams or Andrew Jackson or Abraham Lincoln, the obstacles they encounter are out of my experience. They are huge stumbling blocks requiring huge deeds by huge men or women. By contrast, it is fun to read about Andre's puny travails but he needs to take himself a little less seriously. Of course, if he did that he never would have dictated his book and then where would we be.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you read/heard of any his comments, he did not want any sympathy from anyone, he is happy with his life and does not want it to be changed any bit. Just wanted the world to know his real story than that reported in the media. In his own words, "This is me, I am not saying woe is me".

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

Wow! Could that be a comment from his truly up there?!? Interesting...

About this, though: "Interesting, but not the stuff of tragedy. I mean we could all tell him stories that would break his heart."

Since I had it fresh on the brain, I wanted to point out something. It's not in the same genre, not really in the same *universe* of reading material, sounds like, but I just got done reading and quoting this:

"Brooklyn shows us that choices, even insignificant ones made by seemingly insignificant people, can be just as heroic, just as existential, as those made by anyone no matter how great or heroic they seem."

Maybe the choices in this book seem insignificant, and not nearly as heroic as the subject of the autobiography would want them to be, but if you think about all of the sports figures who have completely imploded in their lives, say, Tiger Woods, for example (who it sounds like had a similar background to Agassi), I actually think that Agassi's choices could be considered heroic in his winding up a family man with the terrific Steffi Graf. It also may not have been a heroic choice, but merely a wise one, to have hired a ghostwriter/co-writer for the book; Agassi is a terrific tennis player, but likely not a writer!

It sounds like it was a fun read, an interesting read, and if I were closer, I think I would ask to borrow it. :)

jstarkey said...

Hi Karin. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but admiration for the Andre Agassi who wrote the book and especially for the great work he is doing in his school. If I were a young teacher I would like nothing more than to go work for him. However, he is not an insignificant person, but his choices (in my humble opinion) were, compared to the situation in BROOKLYN, and in most of our lives, were insignificant and I think that precludes tragedy. He never wondered where his next meal was coming from. He never, until Steffi Graf (I hope) was really in love. Love to him was just a score in a tennis match. Eilis, in BROOKLYN, was dealing with love on a much more elemental level and her choices, while not on the epic scale of Oedipus et. al., were truly life changing. Of course, she had the advantage of being fictional.

I doubt that the anonymous comment came from Agassi! I don't think my readership extends that far. I suspect it was Brandon, but I like your suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't me. :)
Brandon R

jstarkey said...

I'm relieved.

Andy Clayton said...

Enjoyed your take on Agassi. I found it to be one of the better sports books I've read in a very long time. What made it so compelling for me is that it was the likes of Andre and Boris Becker that helped inspire me to play tennis and eventually work my way to varsity status at GMHS. I find it ironic that my two all-time favorites hate each other which such passion. Just like you, I remember watching these matches on TV and the memories the book brought back were great ones. Now that I live in New York there is no better way to spend a late summer afternoon than with tennis at the Open in Flushing.

jstarkey said...

Hi Andy,
I'm jealous that you are able to actually go to the Open. Nate lives in New York (lower East side) and if all works out according to plan we will be there sometime in March. It would be nice to get together for a drink somewhere.

Anonymous said...

I should digg your post therefore other people can look at it, very helpful, I had a tough time finding the results searching on the web, thanks.

- Norman