Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Girl Who Plays With Fire - Stieg Larsson

I think the reason Catholicism counts on guilt to give it a raison d'etre isn't because Catholics have more restrictions placed on their behavior. The list of ridiculous dos and don'ts is roughly equivalent in all Christian variations. But because Catholics disobey all their deeply held beliefs with impunity and then feel guilty about the transgression. Of course that guilt drives them to another transgression which creates more guilt and so on. At least that how it has always worked with me.

There are all kinds of things I like to do that fill me with guilt. Watching any television that is not news or sports related is a big source of guilt for me. If I go on a hike that has no vertical gain in elevation, I feel I have to atone for my sin with a tougher hike the next day.

I can spend an entire day sitting in the living room reading Toni Morrison, or Paul Krugman's latest tract and call it a day well spent. But if I did the same thing with a mystery--and I do, I do--I feel the need to go work in the garden, or mow the yard, anything to allay the feeling that I have just wasted a day.

I finished The Girl Who Plays With Fire a couple of days ago and I am happy to report that it is every bit as compelling as Larsson's first novel in the series, The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo. But as much as I loved it, I don't have much to say about it. I think that is where the guilt comes in. Larsson manages to weave fascinating plots set in idyllic sounding Nordic locations and he makes sure that the bad guy(s) always get their just deserts. More than that, Larsson has created Lisbeth Salander, computer whiz, troubled youth, genius goth, a character you can't help rooting for. Put Salander in any situation and it will become the stuff of great fiction.

I remember a heated discussion about Indiana Jones in my first AP class. They wanted more interesting plots rather than these dreary discussions about character. My response was that the only thing that mattered in Raiders of the Lost Ark was Indiana Jones, the character. Plot was and is totally beside the point.
That's what is so compelling about mysteries, especially Larsson. In fact when he tries to move the plot through dialogue the narrative comes to a screeching halt. To see how to move plot with dialogue read Richard Price (Clockers, Freedomland, Samaritan, et. al.)

In Joe Picket, C. J. Boxx has created one of my favorite characters, but Lisbeth would eat Joe up and spit him out. The other mystery writer I enjoy is John Burdett (Bangkok Eight, Bangkok Tatoo). Burdett's main character--I wish I could remember his name-- leads the reader on a great ride through the insane traffic, drug and otherwise, of Bangkok, but Lisbeth would hold her own once she got used to the territory.

Reading Larsson's novel is a lot like riding a great roller coaster. You can't help but be thrilled and you can't wait for the next ride. The third segment of Larsson's trilogy comes out in May.

2 comments:

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

Okay, okay! Paul got The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for Christmas and it is in the book stack to be read. I may have to put it ahead a little bit in the lineup, but I am getting there.

I also think you carry WAY too much catholic (little c, lol) guilt there, Mr. S. It really is okay just to enjoy things even if they are not challenging. I'm not thinking any less of you, for sure. :)

cfite said...

Built up guilt all day for not being "productive" and finishing Girl with Dragon Tattoo. Will go right out and buy the next one.
I did read it on my iPhone - I liked it (iPhone reading) more than I thought I would.