Thursday, December 31, 2009

K. Starkey's List #2: Places I love in Colorado

I miss Franny. When I think about it, I imagine the things I could tell her about home that would lure her back. I don't need to though--she wants to come back and the doors will open again for that when it's the right time. I have steadfastly refused to tell her that the owners of Mezcal fired the chef and frontman recently and I have worried if her favorite Mexican place would be the same. I'm pretty sure not even that would keep her from coming back if that's what is supposed to be.

Anyway, I love it here. Here are my current favorite places:

1. DIA. Nate gripes about it and I hear grumblings at the Y all the time. It makes me happy though. I love the big blue horse. I love the many-boobed roof, the flights of paper airplanes by the trains, the walk to concourse A with the various exhibits and background music, the places to eat and drink, the voices on the train although I still miss Reymelda Muse's (a former role model for me). We've never had a horrible security wait and we've always had our luggage by the time we got to baggage claim.

2. Carpenter's Peak. We live about 15 minutes from Roxborough Park where the hike starts. Sometime in May we start getting in hiking shape for the Tetons and we start hiking up Carpenter's Peak about once a week. I like to go alone too. I look at wildflowers beginning in May that are in full bloom by the end of June. We pack a sandwich and walk up in an hour and a half and sit on top and look at Denver. If we leave after 10:00, we can usually watch a summer storm come in and we have to hurry down. It's nice to know a trail so well.

3. A Knitted Peace. This is the knitting store that C.Fite teaches at and helps the souls of many knitters. It feels just right if she is there helping or teaching. All of downtown Littleton is cool.

4. Two places in Vail: a) Manor Vail, the Gore Creek below, the bridge leading to the Betty Ford Garden. Wondrous memories and a quiet world so close to the rich people stuff; and b) The Golden Bear store in the midst of the rich people stuff. There are clerks there who know me and it's where Jim buys me presents.

5. Mizuna Restaurant. I like to sit where I can see the entry and the kitchen. I think this is the only place I know the entire staff. I feel certain that whatever chef is cooking my meal, he's doing it especially for me. I feel the waitstaff is bringing the food with pride to a longtime friend. I have a "relationship" with a restuarant.

6. The Public Art Downtown. The blue bear is the best. The dancers are happy. The big rocker by the library--Ahhh. I'm loving the blue pianos downtown now where folks are supposed to stop and play.

7. Coors Field. Even when the Rockies stink, it's a great place to be. That's why the Rockies will never be great--we'll all go even when the team stinks because it's just so pretty and real as far as ballparks go.

8. My lunch spots. I go from school to school all over Denver, Littleton and Aurora for my job. I usually take a short lunch and camp somewhere with lunch and whatever book I'm reading at the moment. I like being alone and reading and feeling a part of some giant work force fueling the economy. I feel kind of grown-up at these times and that's actually pretty rare for me. Anyway, I like my private lunches at The Squeaky Bean, The New Saigon, Masterpiece Deli, Bones, Abe's, Tom's Home Cooking, My Brother's Bar, Steuben's.

9. Mesa Verde and Rocky Mountain National Park. I haven't been to either recently. I keep vowing to get back to both soon. Both fill me with awe.

10. My House. For reasons I don't know, people are drawn to our house, especially the kitchen. I'm loving the backyard since Jim built Deck 1 on the side and Deck 2 in the back--so good for family gatherings we have every Sunday in the summer.

That's it for now.

4 comments:

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

What a great list! Some of the places I know well; others are new to me, even though I lived in the Denver area (and Colorado) for years.

Reading your list made me think of some of my favorite times and places in Denver, too, such as Tommy's Thai on Colfax (pre-remodel especially, although it's okay post-remodel, too), Ming's Dynasty on Colorado and Mississippi, where I got Wonderful Chicken at least once a week when pregnant with my first son, Auraria Campus (where I went to grad school and worked for a few years) in the springtime, and walking from Auraria to Larimer Street on a warm, blue-sky Denver day.

I have lived in and traveled to a lot of cities/countries in the past 20 years. Denver (and Colorado) is one of the BEST places on the planet, I feel.

I liked this sentence a lot: "I don't need to though--she wants to come back and the doors will open again for that when it's the right time." It's so true. When life is ready to do something/make a change, it does just seem to open effortlessly.

I imagine Denver and Colorado will once again be in my future as well -- I hope it will be. It's a great place.

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

Oh, and duh -- the Tattered Cover Bookstore. I have to put that one as I worked there for three years back in the early 90s. It was one of the best jobs I have ever had. I loved the Cherry Creek store, where I worked. The LoDo and Colfax stores are just as wonderful, though. I just noted from their website that Joyce Meskis is now writing for the Huffingtonn Post!! Go Joyce! That is cool. :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely post Mrs S. So charming, and I especially relate to the feelings you get at the restaurant, and to the pleasures of DIA. Very few get to enjoy DIA gently separated from its fuctional purpose.

Also, that Bogosian from earlier was my work, lovingly transcribed from his second CD's live performance in an attempt to include a little of his hilarious inflection.

I'll be reading your tag team blog regularly, with great pleasure.

Your perpetually fledgling pupil and neophyte
-Brandon R
:)

Anonymous said...

Hello : )
Why people (society generally) still pre-judge people who have tats. girls especially?
I am a twenty six year old F, have got 11 tats, most of which can not be seen on my every day travels. 5 To 6 during the warm months are pretty much constantly on display. I don't strive for notice and i also have a loving boyfriend Without Any TATTOOS .I get the impression that a lot of people think that tattooed people are blind, once we get stared at, even when we return a glance people keep on looking. When will society improve?