Saturday, October 20, 2012

Little Shop of Horrors

I'm a proud father this morning.  Of course, most mornings I'm a proud father.  I'm lucky that way.  Anyway, Chris of Starkey Productions and now Starkey Theatrix has started producing plays and musicals, something he has always wanted to do, the past couple of years.  He has an exciting arrangement with both PACE (Parker's beautiful arts center) and Lone Tree's large mainstage theater.  It's a gutsy move, but that's what Chris is about.  He commented that this production thing has become his "hobby business."  In other words, he seems to be doing alright, even in the face of Obama's fabricated attack on small business.  But enough politics.

Last night Kathie and I saw the opening performance of Little Shop of Horrors.  It was a great evening.  The former director at Country Dinner Playhouse did the show and the same things that characterized Country Dinner characterized this production.  Surprisingly effective sets that could be changed, thanks to the rotating stage, at the drop of a hat.  A pace that never let up.  Well, it let up some in the second act, but I think all shows do that.  Plus, let's face it, the second act of this show isn't in the same ball park as the first.  The numbers aren't as big.  The key seems to change to something eerier.  Only "Suddenly Seymour" brings the house down.  The first act, even though there isn't a BIG curtain dropper, is filled with one great number after another.  "Skid Row" was so perfect it brought tears to my eyes.  Of course, I cry at particularly effective television commercials.

I've seen lots of theater in my time.  I used to review for CERVI'S JOURNAL in a previous life.  Little Shop at Parker held its own with the best productions in town.  Mostly the nine person cast and the four piece rock band wailing away up on the catwalk filled that huge room with sound.  I thought it was one of the best vocal ensembles I've seen and heard in a long time.

Postpone all further activities and get yourself some tickets to Little Shop of Horrors.  You won't be disappointed and you can have the heady feeling of supporting the arts.

Congratulations Chris.  My heart soars like a hawk.

1 comment:

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

**LIKE**

This is terrific, and you should be a proud pop, indeed.

I was flashing back to GMHS musical productions circa 1982-1986 reading this. How we have all come a long way...

If I can catch it, I will. LSoH is a fantastic musical!

xoxo
Karin