Saturday, October 6, 2012

Can I Fill In The Bubbles Now, Please?!

It's five o'clock on Saturday morning and I had to run down here because in the kitchen some body language expert--he's written a book--is analyzing the debate from his perspective.  He is being treated by the talk show hosts as if he has something significant to offer to the post-mortem over the debate.

I can't stand it.  Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz and the rest of the crew from MSNBC continue to be downright apoplectic about the whole thing.  It is as if we were all back in the court of King Arthur and Sir Obama was our champion in the joust against the Green Knight!  He didn't eviscerate him.  He didn't even come close.  Which means he let us down and now we're pissed.

Maybe he just realized what we all should realize.  Presidential debates--I've been passionately watching them for over fifty years--are complete and total bullshit.  A media event and nothing more.  I would be disillusioned if I discovered that my president spent the same number of hours in preparation as his opponent.  I would hope he had more pressing business, like hanging out with the girls, or taking Michelle out to a nice dinner.  If it had been me, and my schedulers had put a nationally televised debate on the same day as my 20th anniversary, I would get some new schedulers.  I would also call in sick and hang out with my wife instead of all the fatuous men and women looking to the debate for answers.  Give me a FUCKING break.

What I want more than anything is to get my ballot in the mail so I can bubble in the little squares and mail it back and forget about politics and start concentrating on important things:  the Broncos, crisp fall weather, colorful leaves, writing novels that will never be published.

1 comment:

karl said...

Well said mr starkeyl and extra points for using the word fatuous.