Saturday, January 16, 2010

Vacation Reading

We just returned from ten days in Puerto Vallarta filled with warm temperatures, not enough sun, a few terrific restaurants, and four books under my belt.

I started the trip with Nick Hornby's Juliet, Naked. Finished half of it on the plane and the rest around the pool. The book revolves around a fanatic blogger who fancies himself an expert on an old washed up rock "star" who managed to produce one album of note and then disappeared. This is exactly the kind of stuff that fuels blogging whirlwinds and creates the kind of experts that make me cringe.

You know the type. I recently did a handy man job for a lady who will remain nameless. When I ventured into her basement I noticed the most alarmingly complete collection of Grateful Dead concert tapes now extant and I could imagine what a conversation with the Deadhead in question would be like. He would undoubtedly consider himself an expert on the subject, the uncontestable bearer of meaning on the life and times of Jerry Garcia and he would consider his expertise to be on a par with say a Ph.D. in literature specializing in the Jacobean Period. He would equate his (some would say) wasted hours following the Dead around with the Ph.D.'s research and years of study culminating in a thesis and a teaching position at the local university. And to make matters worse, our Dead expert would invariably start a blog which would attract other pathetic losers and those losers would generate bogus ideas and strange conspiracy theories until a cottage industry was formed.

Juliet, Naked made me happy because it debunks all of that without being mean spirited. As it turns out, the blog devoted to the vanished rock star is just a massive collection of bullshit and the rockstar shows up to inadvertantly give the blogger his comeuppance. But in the process the book explores the nature of art and fame and love until by the end I didn't hate the blogger at all. The only thing I felt was an urgent need to go out and buy another book by Nick Hornby.

After I dispatched Hornby's book, I moved to Halfway to Heaven by Mark Obmascik. Obmascik is a Denver freelance writer who used to work for the Post and who has published one of my other favorite books, The Big Year, a fascinating and hilarious examination of fanatic bird watchers. His newest book is a chronicle of his attempt to scale all 54 fourteeners in Colorado in one year. I don't think it is as entertaining as the bird book, but it is still a compelling read. There are all sorts of crazy climbing types, a lot of obscure and not so obscure retellings of Colorado history, and an exploration into testing one's limits (and one's family's limits). One thing for sure, at least for someone as afraid of clingling to rock faces at 14,000 feet as I, if you ever entertained the idea of climbing all the fourteeners, this book will make you reconsider.

Next up, The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo by Stieg Larsson. I read this book in one day by the pool because it was not possible to put it down. This isn't great literature. It isn't even a great mystery in the sense of Richard Price (Clockers, Freedomland, Samaritan, Lush Life), but the characters are still rummaging around my head and causing me so much worry, that I am more than a little hesitant to pick up the next in the series.

I will end this little essay with the best and most disturbing book. I am not a huge Barbara Kingsolver fan, although I think The Bean Trees should be required reading for sophomores in high school (right up there with Catcher). I never appreciated Animal Dreams with the same devotion that my wife and her students did and while I like the didacticism of her first novel, I find that some of her later works, at least the ones that I've looked at, are too didactic. Her latest novel, The Lacuna, is a revelation. It focuses on a young mixed race man from Mexico who ends up working for Diego Rivera, Frida, and Lev Trotsky as a cook (all of Kingsolver's novels end up making my mouth water) and secretary. The young man ends up being a wildly successful author in the USA until the McCarthy era catches up to him. It is an exploration of the nature of the artist set in a world overrun with the irrational fears of a people on the verge of the cold war. The evil wrought by the conservative powers that be and the mindless paranoia about communism fueled by greedy capitalists sounds a lot like our current situation. The book and our times scare the hell out of me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cash Making Opportunities - The Beginning The working life is already tough enough, but the worries of being out of work was even tougher. The unsecured working environment have prompted me to search the internet for an alternative source of extra income so that I could learn how to Make Money Work for me and be Financially Independent. I listed down a number of Free Internet Business Opportunity Ideas while researching ways how people earn money online while working-from-home.......

www.onlineuniversalwork.com

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

"The only thing I felt was an urgent need to go out and buy another book by Nick Hornby."

I really like Hornby. I got pulled into his writing with the John Cusack film of his book "High FIdelity" and then read not only that one but "About a Boy" and "How to Be Good." "Long Way Down" remains in a box in storage in Denver -- it was in the To Read pile that did not yet get read. One of these days I will.

"His newest book is a chronicle of his attempt to scale all 54 fourteeners in Colorado in one year." Oh that would be interesting! I made it up seven or eight from the time I was 11 to 21. I don't know if you remember Asa Jude, but her mom tried to do that - go up all 54 in a year - in the 80s. I can't remember if she was successful or not. Considering that there are only about three months where doing so in decent weather is possible, it sounds like an *impossible* task. But it sounds like a good read.

"Next up, The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo by Stieg Larsson." For me, too. Paul got it for Christmas, but I am running out of things to read so I will probably run off with it before he gets to it. I'm going to Janet (Davis) Hasson's home in the south of France this coming week and sounds like I should maybe bring this along.

I've not *blush* read Kingsolver. She's been recommended over and over, but I just never got around to her works. I'm reminded here that perhaps I should remedy this situation. :)

This made me laugh: "And to make matters worse, our Dead expert would invariably start a blog which would attract other pathetic losers and those losers would generate bogus ideas and strange conspiracy theories until a cottage industry was formed." :D

I'd like to read more but, an individual membership is 100€ (about $150) for a year at the American Library in Paris... It might actually be cheaper for me to just buy books at those rates. It makes me really respect and miss the public libraries in Denver. What a great thing libraries are. I appreciate them even more now that I am not near one! :)

Happy continued reading and I will look forward to hearing more about it all.