Friday, January 29, 2010

Salinger and "Shining Your Shoes for the Fat Lady"

Katherine here.

Franny called me yesterday. I was having lunch with C.Fite between visits at Manual High School and Lincoln High School. Franny needed to let me know that Salinger had died and she didn't want me to learn from someone who didn't love me. I gulped and teared up and tried not to let it interfere with Cindy's tale of the new recliners she and Jerry are moving into their living room. I made it through lunch.

I got in my car and headed to Lincoln and managed to watch my teacher (an avid hockey player from Hawaii--go figure). He was trying to meet a literacy requirement and his lesson was just okay, but I paid attention and tried to see what was good. I got back in the car and my boss called with an update on some Metro issues and I told her I was struggling because Salinger died. She's a former Jeffco English teacher and I waited for her to gasp or something, but instead she asks me who this Salinger is. I tell her and she lets me know she never read Catcher in the Rye. I didn't know what to say and headed to Bruce Randolph School and started to cry.

I watched a Physics teacher (also working on literacy requirements) who told me she really doesn't understand what a prefix or suffix is in our follow-up conference. It was almost 3:00 and I returned to the car a disillusioned mess.

I turn on the radio and hit the NPR button and there is a voice reading the opening pages of Catcher. I would have read the words differently--I mean, I read them so many times. I started weeping and I realized I needed to pay attention to the traffic on I70. The ode to Salinger ended with the last page and Holden missing everyone you talk about. More weeping.

I got off the various highways it takes to get me home, pulled over and discovered Facebook messages on my Blackberry from folks I read those Catcher pages to and all I could do was miss them. So much.

Salinger is the glue to my life. I read Catcher in high school because it was banned. I was a "good" kid and couldn't understand the fuss over the book and wondered why Holden didn't just do his work. God, I was such an idiot.

Jim taught me to understand. When we were dating there was this bizarre moment when he arrived at my apartment on a Saturday morning. He had books, champagne, and record albums. He didn't want to come in, but handed me the items. He said that he was falling in love with me, but couldn't love a woman who had not read these books, drunk this wine (Mumm's--Hemingway's favorite), and didn't feel at home with the music (mostly The Band). He left.

After half of day just really being pissed (I wasn't in the mood for weekend assignments--I had plenty of papers to grade), I decided I'd try the wine. I'd never opened champagne. It was a challenge and I wasted some.

I picked up Franny and Zooey (I'd been told to read it first and if you're going to blindly obey a fellow you might as well go whole hog). I drank champagne and read all night. I read Nine Stories next and then the Seymore novellas. The Band and Life is a Carousel went round and round in the background. I fell in love. With Salinger, the wine, the music, with Jim.

I spent years at Green Mountain High School trying to teach kids what I learned that weekend. I've spent most of my life trying to live it with on-and-off success. It's not that big a lesson so it surprises me how hard it is to teach, to grasp, to live.

All I try to do every day is to "shine my shoes for the fat lady." I try to pay loving attention to the people around me. I try to see what is good and what is working in them. I try to accept them for what they are. I try to listen--that's all Holden, Franny, Zooey, and Buddy really had in Seymour--the world's best listener. I try to see trees instead of roads and realize that swimming suits are equally blue and yellow. I try to walk from one piece of hallowed ground to the next.

It's so hard and I don't do it very well. Rush Limbaugh saps me of the grace I have when he suggests we not contribute to Haiti and then my quirky grandson Zack tells me his favorite food in all the world is my roast turkey and I'm somehow a bit more balanced again. My problem is that Zack will grow up and I don't know if my kids are ready to produce a string of kids just to keep me on an even keel.

One last thought--Jim does the Facebook thing and I check in--I'm on the computer too much for Metro stuff as it is. I want to say how joyous it is to see faces I've loved and continue to love and to know how many truly wonderful things have grown from little things J. and I taught. Chris Hartman called last night too. I missed the call, but the voice and message were just right. Thank you all for sharing your lives with us way back when and now.

That's it for now. Love and kisses,
Mrs. S.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Mrs. Starkey,
I was one of you students in 1985 - and you were on my mind yesterday. I send you a bouquet of snapdragons over these blips of the internet. Because of you and other fabulous English teachers, I now teach English at Smoky Hill High School. I'm also on the Colorado Language Arts Society Executive Board, so if you attend the CLAS spring conference, please look around for me.

Love to you,
Kathleen McAnulty Murphy

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

I thought of you, too, yesterday. :)

This kills me: "Franny needed to let me know that Salinger had died and she didn't want me to learn from someone who didn't love me." I am so glad it was Franny who let you know.

"She's a former Jeffco English teacher and I waited for her to gasp or something, but instead she asks me who this Salinger is." AAAACCCKKK.

So sorry that had to happen. :( So sorry that is the case with an English teacher!

"I spent years at Green Mountain High School trying to teach kids what I learned that weekend." Really crying myself now, because you DID, you did give this to me -- taught me what you had learned that weekend, just as you taught my friends and even friends-by-proxy, like Paul. It worked. I cannot thank you enough. As an aside, one of the first things I did when coming to Paris was get a new copy of F&Z because mine is in storage in Denver. I did bring a beat up old copy of Catcher that used to be Janet Davis' over 20 years ago, but which I now carry with me (my copy got left in China after I taught English there in 1990. Hers had gotten left behind after she had taught in Japan and Katy Ryan had it and asked if I wanted it).

You're welcome... but thank *you* most of all, from the bottom of my heart.

Love and kisses back, Mrs. S.

Michael Merschel said...

I have been thinking of you from the moment I saw the news. I wondered how you were taking it. Thank you for telling us.

I had never heard the story of how you and Salinger became entwined. Somehow I figured that you had both always been there, eternally, fused together a few moments after the Big Bang.

In Sunday's newspaper, at the end of a column where people much smarter and more erudite than I am opine on the importance of Salinger, there will be a few lines that let me give thanks for writers and teachers who pry open the brains of stubborn young boys. I have always taken your appearance in my life as proof that there is a benevolent God, one who wanted me to think. About something besides Star Trek.

Much love,
Mike

Willing Coffee Wife said...

Wow, you guys have a blog! I love this internet thing because you never know who you can find to spark a long forgotten memory. I read some of what you wrote previously and was reminded of all those times I sat in your classes. I'm glad I have a way to be inspired again. Gratefully,
Linda Akey-Hughey

Melissa (Fouch) Machowski said...

Hi Starkeys!

Thanks for introducing me to Sallinger. My facebook page was filled with GMHSers laments about his passing as well. It was a lovely reminder that we all tasted Holden's break, and for me personally, it allowed a whole new way of rejecting what I needed to reject.

I am happy to see you both online, and RIP Sallinger.

Love,
Melissa Fouch Machowski
former Starkey student!

Michelle Selvans said...

i'm happy to find Starkeyland has an online incarnation! that area of GM was where i learned the most about myself up to that point, in a school setting i should say. i found it funny that when i got on facebook, the group of people i knew from your classes were the ones i wanted to know about again from that time. and the feeling was mutual :) i'll always think of you as a Bhodisattva.

i also remember picking up picking up the phrase 'coincidence that isn't a coincidence' from you. memory's a flawed thing, but that may just be true. and the CTIAC this time around: i'd just started reading Nine Stories again when i heard about Salinger.

with love,
and a hand on top of my head,
Michelle

Mrslouwho said...

Mrs. Starkey,

As one of many students, thank you. I don't care if you hear it every day for the rest of your life you haven't heard it enough, thank you.
I can’t express the emptiness of knowing that Salinger is gone, but part of me keeps expecting a phone call. Why I think it’s more likely now, I don’t know.

Jodi said...

Love and kisses back, Mrs. S.