Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Victimhood

This is probably going to make me sound like a real asshole, but I want to get it off my chest.

I feel awful for the unfortunate souls who were victimized in the Aurora theater shooting, just like I felt awful for the Columbine victims and the Oklahoma City victims and the Virginia Tech victims and any other victims in a list of crimes too numerous to mention, but I've never understood the idea that these people have special rights by virtue of their victimhood.

I just read in the POST that the Aurora victims are getting frustrated because all the money that has been raised and donated for victim relief is not going expeditiously to their pockets.  I'm sorry, but I don't see why they should get compensated for their loss, or their trauma.  What exactly do they need the money for?  Their sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, aunts, uncles and the rest were murdered.  How much cash is that worth?

I'm sounding a little like Paul Ryan here, but why are they entitled to anything more than our sympathy and resolve to put an end to rampages like the one in the theater?  I don't think tragedy should be remunerative.  That's one of the reasons it's a tragedy.

I'm not going to share this on Facebook.  If you think I am being particularly insensitive here, well maybe I am.

4 comments:

karl said...

I agree that a lot of "victims" seem to feel their victim hood entitles them to special privileges, but in this case many of the people that were injured don't have medical insurance and I think the money raised should go to help them. Plus, the victims have as much right to the money as the politically connected charities that are using the shooting to raise money.

Many of these problems could be solved if everyone had decent health care, right now that is not the case, so the "charities" should maybe do something charitable in this case and help with medical bills

jstarkey said...

Thank you for that reasonable comment. Your point is well made.

karl said...

I have this recurring dream that I have to return to hi school, usually it involves someone finding out that I had most my failing math grades changed to "c" s by a sympathetic office worker, but I think this time when I go back I may actually look forward to English class.

jstarkey said...

Karl--K here. I love your last comment, but I'm sorry about the recurring dream. We both still have school dreams. I'm ready for them to go away.