Sunday, May 29, 2011

Man Issues: Manhood for Amateurs by Michael Chabon

I saved Michael Chabon's Manhood for Amateurs for a post of its own. I read this during my first two days at Banyon Bay on Ambergris Caye and was alternately moved, irritated, and vindicated by it.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have man issues. The only thing I remember clearly about my father is weekly child support checks amounting to $24. 90. He deducted ten cents from the checks for postage. With him out of the picture, I was raised by my mother, grandmother, aunt, and two sisters. Of course, with that number of young and single women around, I had a never ending supply of father figures to latch onto. Uncle Carl taught me how to play baseball. Future brother-in-law Terry taught me how to keep from embarrassing myself on a basketball court without much success. My sister Mary Jo's husband Dick taught me to drive his 1957 Ford station wagon. I could list names for at least two more paragraphs.

So, it is with this history that I began to read Michael Chabon's collection of essays gathered from a series of his magazine pieces and bound together in one thematic volume. I didn't read the book in some kind of self-help mode, but rather because I love reading anything Chabon writes. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay was a revelation.

Manhood for Amateurs is an honest look at male roles and the problems attendant upon them. The sad outrage he expresses when a woman in a supermarket shopping line congratulates him for being a "great father" simply because he is a man with a grocery cart full of food and kids sets the tone. The standards for being a great father are so low. Would anyone congratulate a cart and kid pushing woman simply because she went shopping?

Everyone knows the issues we're talking about. The demands of male banter is an example. The fact that "a man who can't work with his hands isn't a man," as Willy Loman says, is another. Chabon likes to cook. He likes to spend afternoons inventing new cartoons or drawing old ones with his kids. He thinks it silly that men have to cram everything they need to carry in their pockets rather than carry a purse. He then spends an inordinate amount of time finding the perfect purse, not too effeminate, supple suede and sedately square.

He seems to have a more comfortable time in the company of females. I feel exactly the same way. There are so many things about male behavior that leave me cold. At faculty meetings, for example, the same group of thick necked men, some with emerging pot bellies, would always congregate around a table off to the side and to the rear. There they would sit, arms crossed, sporting ball caps high on their heads, talking to each other about the same stuff they always talked to each other about, "laughing like hyenas at stuff that wasn't even funny," as Holden Caulfield would say.

And now at retirement parties, there is that same group of guys, stomachs still fuller, gossiping at the back table. There is nothing wrong with that, mind you. It's just that I am not able to engage in that kind of man talk.

In Gran Torino Clint Eastwood takes his young Vietnamese neighbor to the local barbershop to "man him up." You're supposed to talk about people who aren't there, complain about your wife/girlfriend, brag about your new set of tires, or tell the great joke you pulled on whathisface the other day. Whatever the topic, you should be able to stand belly to belly, ball cap brims nearly touching, for seemingly ever.

There are lots of great guys at the Y and I look forward to seeing them each morning and the jokes about how the weights aren't getting any lighter, and the daily complaints about the temperature of the hot tub, or the rotten tiling job on the showers. But there are a few who are able to talk for two solid hours, rotating through various sympathetic listeners. I don't know how they do it.

I know what all this sounds like. Sour grapes. I can't talk about that kind of stuff and so I look down my nose at it. I suppose that's true. I know I would feel a lot more comfortable with myself if I could bullshit with the best of them. The only times I can keep up my end of a conversation is if I lapse into teacher mode and start asking questions, but I can only do that if I really have questions. When the conversation comes to gossip, money, funny jokes, and stuff like that, I don't give a shit.

Manhood for Amateurs doesn't offer that many new insights into manliness, but it reaffirms so much of what I already thought. I know lots of people who would profit from reading this book, but I think it might be taken the wrong way if I sent it to them.

Read anything by Michael Chabon. I've never been disappointed by him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ask them if they want to play that basketball game or the "It is a Queen, but not a King game." Props to you for never being boring as laughing hyenas. You made my life better.

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chabon

Ahhhhh, okay, right: The Wonder Boys author.

He says this about his name in a Wikipedia quote: "Shea as in Shea Stadium, Bon as in Bon Jovi." Nice. :)

Okay, on to content.

I don't know that I will read the book. I'm having a real crisis of "So many books, so little time!" these days and it is giving me near panic-attacks. As it is, I am double-dipping into AS Byatt's The Children's Book and simultaneously reading Gabrielle Hamilton's Blood, Bones & Butter, which you and Kathie might really enjoy being the foodies that you are. Seventy-seven pages in, I am really enjoying the writing. It's got the makings of a terrific memoir so far, and does not make me think of Kitchen Confidential *too* much (implication: a little bit. What *is* it with chefs/cooks and druggy backgrounds?).

Anyway, what I liked much about this review was once again the glimpse into the personal world and history of James Starkey, the man. I liked the things I learned about you in this post.

I also agree with much of what you write about men. I love you guys so much (meaning: all male beings). There is much to love about you. But then there are those parts, some of the things you mention here, and all I want to do is beg in prayer to a god I am not sure I totally believe in anymore to "Please don't let my boys grow up to be assholes." *sigh* Some of the male world I just do not get.

I guess this is like anything: there is a light side to things and a shadow side, the shadow being the nonsensical things that "aren't even funny." To be fair, nonsensical things belong to the shadow world of women, too. That you recognize the things that you do about the male world, the shadow things, speaks a lot to your light side as a man, however.

Wasn't Gran Torino a terrific film in exploring the light and the shadow, though?

Sounds like this book could be the same. Still don't know if I will read it. Right now I am in a bit of an inner rage that Shea-Bon published his first novel at 25 and was catapulted into literary celebrity with it. It makes me feel like I ought to have done so much more with my life than I have. Not too late, I know, but still. I am in awe and also completely peeved at writers like that... Inspiring, and totally, completely annoying!

Happy Reading, Jim, and love to you and Kathie, too.

Karin

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

EEEK. There is a (well, for sure at least one, probably more) horrible grammar error up there. *shudder* I usually proof my comments by re-reading in preview mode at least a couple of times before hitting that "Publish Your Comment" button, but I know I don't catch half of errors I'm making. I approach these a lot like freewriting, which means putting down just what is coming to mind, so you, know, in that spirit, ignore the bad syntax, pretty-please! :)